Recriminations Intensify After Deadly Israel Stampede

MOUNT MERON, Israel — Demands for accountability after a disaster that left 45 people dead at a holy site in northern Israel mounted on Saturday as questions swirled about the culpability of the government, religious leaders and the police.

The stampede on Mount Meron early Friday during an annual pilgrimage, one of Israel’s worst civil disasters, was foreshadowed for years in warnings by local politicians, journalists and ombudsmen that the site had become a death trap.

On Saturday, the Israeli news media reported that senior police officials had blamed the Ministry of Religious Services because it had signed off earlier in the week on safety procedures for the event.

But with more pilgrims expected to arrive at Mount Meron after sundown on Saturday for a second day of ceremonies, a police spokesman said that no additional precautions had been taken to secure the site since the stampede but that further assessments would be made in the evening. Three police officers at the scene said they had received no instructions to limit crowds since the deaths on Friday.

Politicians and political commentators accused the police and other authorities of playing a part in the tragedy. One of those under scrutiny is the minister for public security, Amir Ohana, who oversees the police and rescue services and attended the pilgrimage himself.

Successive Israeli governments were blamed for turning a blind eye to safety issues on the mountain for more than a decade to avoid alienating the ultra-Orthodox Jews who attend the annual celebration, known in Hebrew as a hillula. Seven of the last nine Israeli governing coalitions have relied on the support of ultra-Orthodox parties.

Referring to the minister for public security, Anshel Pfeffer, a political commentator and author, wrote in the liberal Israeli newspaper Haaretz, “Ohana would not have considered — not even for a minute — to restrict arrivals to the hillula at Meron and anger the ultra-Orthodox politicians who control the fate of his master, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.”

“But neither did his predecessors consider it,” he added.

Mr. Netanyahu is currently struggling to cobble together a new coalition government that will require the support of two ultra-Orthodox parties to have a chance of forming a parliamentary majority.

A senior police officer, Morris Chen, said on Friday night that police protocols had not been influenced by political interference.

Mr. Ohana, the public security minister, posted on Twitter that police had done their best.

“There must be and will be a thorough, in-depth and real inquiry that will discover how and why this happened,” he later said in a video, adding, “From the bottom of my heart I wish to share in the sorrow of the families that lost the most precious thing of all, and to wish a swift and full recovery to the injured.”

The attorney general, Avichai Mandelblit, tasked an independent watchdog that investigates claims of police wrongdoing with assessing accusations of police negligence in the buildup to the disaster.

But on Saturday, Kan, the state-run broadcaster, said that the watchdog was reluctant to oversee the investigation because of the roles played by other officials and bodies beyond the police.

Hundreds of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews visit Mount Meron each spring for the festival of Lag b’Omer. It honors the death of a second-century Jewish mystic, Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai, whose tomb is on the mountain.

Crowds were banned in 2020, but about 100,000 returned this year after a successful vaccination drive that has allowed much of Israeli life to return to something approaching normalcy.

The event has long prompted calls to limit the number of pilgrims allowed to attend. The site is a warren of narrow, sloping passageways and small, cramped plazas that visitors have often warned were unsuitable for crowds.

The disaster began in the early hours of Friday morning as crowds gathered in a small arena beside the tomb to watch the lighting of several ceremonial bonfires. Thousands of people then tried to leave by way of a steep, narrow slope that eventually connects, via a short bank of steps, to a narrow tunnel.

As they neared the steps to the tunnel, some at the front slipped on the metal floor of the slope, witnesses said. That created a sudden blockage, trapping hundreds at the bottom. As more and more pilgrims continued to leave the ceremony above, they began trampling on those below them.

In 2008 and 2011, the state comptroller, a government watchdog, warned that the site’s pathways were too narrow to accommodate so many people. The local council leader said that he had tried to close it at least three times.

In 2013, the police chief of northern Israel warned colleagues of the potential for a deadly accident. And in 2018, the editor of a major Haredi magazine said it was a recipe for disaster.

On Friday night, a current representative of the state comptroller said that the lack of a coherent leadership structure at the site made it harder to enforce a proper safety system there.

Different parts of the site fall under the jurisdiction of four competing private religious institutions, all of which resist state intervention.

There was “one main fault,” Liora Shimon, deputy director general at the comptroller, told Kan. “It is the fact that this site is not under the responsibility of one single management.”

A survivor of the tragedy, Yossi Amsalem, 38, said that chaotic site management had contributed to the crush, but stopped short of attributing blame to any particular group. Mr. Amsalem said that the passageway where the crush occurred had been used for two-way traffic, which had made it even harder to move.

“The path should either be for going up or going down,” Mr. Amsalem said from a hospital bed in Safed, a city across the valley from Meron. “There shouldn’t be this confusion.”

The tragedy drew sympathy and solidarity from across the religious-secular divide in Israel. Health workers said that 2,200 Israelis had donated blood to help those injured on Mount Meron. Flags will be flown at half-staff on Sunday at official state buildings as the country observes a day of national mourning.

But the catastrophe also reignited a debate about religious-secular tensions in Israel, and about the amount of autonomy that should be granted to parts of the ultra-Orthodox community that resist state control.

While many ultra-Orthodox Jews play active roles in Israeli life, some reject the concept of Zionism, while others reject participation in the Israeli military or work force and resist state intervention in their education system.

The tensions soared during the pandemic, when parts of the community infuriated the secular public by ignoring state-enforced coronavirus regulations, even as the disease devastated their ranks at a far higher rate than the rest of the population.

For survivors of the Meron disaster, the crush therefore became the latest in a series of struggles and setbacks, instead of a joyous post-pandemic return to normalcy and tradition.

“It’s been such a difficult year,” said Moshe Helfgot, a 22-year-old whose right leg was broken in two places in the crush. “And now there is yet another disaster.”

Irit Pazner Garshowitz and Jonathan Rosen contributed reporting.




Source link

Total
0
Shares
Related Posts
Read More

在教育平权的拉锯战中,华人面临着什么?

欢迎阅读本期“海外华人札记”,我是常驻纽约的华文记者荣筱箐。每周五我们将一起从华人视角解读、探讨新闻热点、品析时报精华文章。欢迎点击这里订阅,或推荐给朋友。 上周,纽约市特殊高中放榜后,一家纽约华人维权组织通过电邮向获得录取的考生发去贺信,并鼓励他们“永远不要为学习而道歉,永远不要为刻苦而道歉”。这封电邮的主题栏是这样写的:“纽约同源会向获得特殊高中录取的学生发出的独特信息(unique message)”。 这条信息之所以“独特”,是因为今年的录取结果再次引发了一场对特殊高中入学考试的声讨。从主流媒体到教育界人士,讨论的焦点都是非洲裔和西语裔学生在被录取学生中所占比例之少,仅有9%。包括华人在内的大多数人都认为这样的结果不可接受,新上任的纽约市教育总监梅莎·波特(Meisha Porter)随即发出推文,呼吁取消长期被质疑录取结果不公平的的特殊高中入学考试。但对占被录取人数大多数的亚裔学生——其中很多是低收入移民家庭的子女而言,在经过“头悬梁,锥刺股”的苦读而“金榜题名”时,却未能从主流话语圈里得到一句“恭喜”,多少会有些意气难平。 正值美国的录取季节,优质学校族裔多元化呼声又日益高涨,从纽约到全美,从中学到大学,很多华人家长都开始为孩子的前途捏上一把汗。在这场关于录取问题的大辩论中,无论立场如何,越来越多的人似乎已经开始思考同样的问题:把考试看成是最可靠上升途径的亚裔和未能通过考试得到上升机会的其他少数族裔的利益是不是真的水火不容? 从2018年夏天市长白思豪发布旨在取消入学考试的录取改革方案至今,纽约市特殊高中录取问题引发的争议已经延烧多年,作为保卫入学考试的主力,亚裔家长认为市政府应当从基础教育入手,帮助更多非洲裔和西语裔学生通过考试,而市长和他手下前后两任教育总监都认为,不取消单一考试录取就不可能做到公平。 纽约的改革因遇到强烈反对未能按计划推进,但取消考试、促进多元化录取现在已经成为全美范围内的浪潮。这一年来,由于疫情打乱了正常教学,从高中到大学,标准化考试正在从录取系统中迅速被剔除,而考试被很多华人认定是唯一的客观标准。取消对考试成绩的要求后,今年很多顶尖学校录取的学生中,非洲裔和西语裔学生的比例确实有明显增加。 关于录取改革的争论,从根源上其实是对美国60年代通过的平权法案在新时代里的一次检视。在其他少数族裔明显仍然需要平权法案保护时,承担着模范少数族裔虚名的亚裔已经开始重新评估自己在平权法案中的得失。去年11月,加州选民挫败了一条旨在恢复平权法案在大学录取中应用的公投议案。如果美国高等法院重审哈佛大学被诉招生歧视亚裔一案,其结果将对平权法案的未来产生深远影响。而今年哈佛大学录取的新生中亚裔和非洲裔比例都出现上升,这或许也会在此案的重审中成为最新证据。 5月4日,在30多家亚裔社区组织共同举办的纽约市长候选人论坛上,多名候选人提出应当保留特殊高中入学考试并增建特殊高中,让更多学生得到优质教育。华裔候选人杨安泽在论坛上说:“我们需要避免的是接受这是一场以种族界线划定的零和游戏。” 这句话放在这次特殊高中放榜的背景下,似乎也可以引发这样的疑问:在指出非洲裔和西语裔学生录取率低的不合理结果的同时,真的必须对亚裔学生取得的成绩只字不提吗?2018年白思豪宣布特殊高中录取改革时事前完全没有征求亚裔的意见,让亚裔感觉受到了忽视,这也是之后改革遭遇顽强抵抗陷入僵局的一个重要原因。从过去几年的经验来看,如果继续这种把亚裔当透明的思维,这场改革的前景大概也很难一帆风顺。 近期不容错过的文章还有: 洛杉矶佛教徒举办法事,为种族仇恨“疗伤”。本周,来自许多文化和社区的佛教徒聚集在一起,试图修补美国的种族“业力”。他们在一座最近被纵火袭击的寺庙里举行法事,希望人们能像生于污泥的莲花一样从痛苦中绽放。(阅读本文中文版) 最高法院最近做出一项对面临遣返的移民有利的裁决,是走是留竟然取决于对法律条文中“一”字的理解。 新泽西州一所法学院有学生在课堂讨论中引用1993年一次法庭判决中的句子,其中包含的一个种族歧视词汇引起了轩然大波。 中国大举建设电动汽车厂,抢占海内外市场。中国电动汽车产业发展势头强劲,国内制造商正在利用来自华尔街的国际投资和当地政府的支持迅速建厂。不过,对于这些企业来说,品牌知名度将是一个重大挑战。(阅读本文中文版) 从卫生纸到麦片,很多国家都面临物价上涨。在美国,涨价的原因之一是商品运费飙升,这是由从中国进口的大批家居办公设备和锻炼器材等人们在疫情中更感兴趣的货品占据了运输容量造成的。 随着疫情延续,很多人进入了一种干什么都提不起劲的状态,心理学家对这种“慵懒”状态做出了解释,并给出了应对建议。但也有人在疫情期间保持积极向上的状态,在这篇文章里,你可以学习七个达到积极状态的方法(附带精神状态自我测试)。…

Sign Up for Our Newsletters

Get notified about major events on our website.